Barry Athletic 1-0 St Athan

ASRS Cup Semi Final
Barry Athletic 1-0 St Athan

Barry Athletic are on their way to Jenner Park as they booked their ASRS Cup Final place this Sunday, as Ben Pearce scored the decisive goal ten minutes from time to edge past league leaders St Athan 1-0.

In a game that ebbed and flowed both sides gave their all in a full blooded affair.

St Athan saw efforts off the woodwork twice, from Harfoot and then the Athletic keeper tipped Williams’ header onto the bar.

Athletic forced Saints keeper James Andrews into a smart save to tip over a blistering long range effort.

Both sides looked for the breakthrough but couldn’t create a clear cut chance. Athletic coming close with a free kick that ended being flashed across goal.

Saints finished the half strongly with Howells twice narrowly firing wide late on after good work from Steel.

The second half continued the same as the first with both teams probing but neither able to find the killer blow. Long range efforts from Athletic and goal mouth scrambles from Saints.

Athletic started to take control and saw a header straight at the keeper but with ten minutes to go the breakthrough.

Athletic broke from the back and a pin point through ball saw Pearce on side and in on goal and he converted the chance to send Athletic’s supports into delirium.

Saints threw everything at the last ten minutes to try to seek out an equaliser but just like the majority of the game couldn’t quite carve out a real chance.

Athletic progress to play FC Barry Belgrade in the final on Sunday at Jenner Park, 2-15 kick off.

This Wednesday sees the semi finals of the Barry Cup as St Athan play FC Barry Belgrade at Wenvoe and Barry Athletic play division two Llantwit Major at BSC Barrier Pitch, both games are a 6pm kick off.

St Athan: Andrews, Mortimore, Cox, Young, Laing, R.Lewis, Sutch, Harfoot, Williams, Howells, Steel – subs – Rogers, L.Lewis, Ashton


Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *