Barry Athletic 3-3 St Athan

Barry Athletic 3-3 St Athan

In a true game of two halves the top two in the premier division played out a thrilling 3-3 draw in near impossible hurricane like conditions.

After last week’s SWFA Cup exit Saints made changes with Nicky Cox returning to the starting line up, Aaron Rogers returned to the squad after injury and Jake Sutch handed a debut.

With the wind whipping around the Athletic Ground it was a far cry from the Barry Island summers with both sides struggling in the conditions.

Saints saw an early chance as Nicky Cox’s long through found its way to the far post but Craig Howells narrowly missed his connection at pace.

Saints playing with the wind made the break through as Reece Lewis’ switch of play saw Karl Steel in on goal to round the keeper and open the scoring.

St Athan soon doubled their lead against the league leaders as Steel was played in yet again only to be brought down in the area. Skipper Jordan Mortimore converted from the spot expertly.

St Athan were in the ascendancy and soon had their third. Keeper James Andrews long launch forward alluded the home defence for Mortimore to race onto, round the keeper and roll the ball in.

Saints saw Mortimore and Steel fire wide late on in the half and Mortimore had a very late effort cleared off the line but Saints went in 3 goals to the good as they readied themselves for the second half onslaught now that Athletic would have the wind to their backs.

Athletic took full advantage of the wind assist and looked to put Saints under pressure.

It soon paid off as a switch of play found the home winger to cross for Saints centre half Lee Reid to turn into his own net. Unfortunate for the otherwise excellent Reid.

Athletic pushed to reduce the deficit but Saints rearguard action was resolute and when a way was found through Andrews in Saints goal was sharp as tack.

Saints had a rare foray into the wind as Mortimore played in Steel, his centre to Kieran Ashton was well defended.

Still the onslaught came by Atheltic and finally they found their second. A ball into the box was half cleared and a low stinging strike through a crowd of bodies found its way into the bottom corner. Game on.

Athletic pumped the ball forward as they looked to match their opponents first half exploits. Saints continued to defend bravely against the 11 Barry Athletic players and Mother Nature.

But with minutes left on the clock it was jubilation for Athletic, another penalty area scramble saw the ball ping out to the Athletic player to lash it home and the game was level.

Athletic pushed for the winner and struck the bar and had one off the line but Saints held on for a draw.

A point a piece was a fair result as both sides played their part in an enthralling contest, with the real winner being Storm Brian as the players trudged off.

St Athan: Andrews, Sutch, Young, Cox, Reid, Laing, Lewis, Garrision, Steel, Howells, Mortimore. Subs – Ashton, Rogers, Lucas, John.

The seconds lost out in a thrilling 6-4 defeat to BRT Dynamos with a debut goal for Lewys Morgan with Nicky Cleave, Seth Talbot and Leow Morris scoring also.

St Athan B – Holehouse, Morgans, Burgess, Prior, Richards, Pickering, George, Morgan, Talbot, Cleave, Howells. Subs – Goodwin, Whitelock, Roberts, Morris, Skitinis.

Many thanks to our sponsors Llantwit Car Valet and Kinsale Stone Co (Wales) Ltd. If your company is interested in sponsoring the club contact us by email


Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *