Cadoxton Imps 1-3 St Athan

Barry Cup Round One 

Cadoxton Imps 1-3 St Athan

St Athan laboured into the second round of the Barry Cup with a sluggish display against division one Cadoxton Imps.

Paul Lucas scored his first two goals of the season with birthday boy Kieran Ashton notching against his former club after his big money move to the top flight in the summer.

Saints came into the game missing four from the weekend before with Jordan Mortimore needing a sabbatical after far too much running last week, Lee Reid possibly still drunk, Josh Harfoot cleaning boots and Nicky Cox was booked in to rehab for his clean sheet obsession.

Saints did gladly welcome back Deon Garrison after his summer tour of McDonalds on the west coast of America.

Imps started better and were clearly up to cause an upset and struck the bar early on, not for the last time in the game either.

Saints lost Adam Howe to a knee injury and Jamie Robinson was brought in to replace him.

Ashton then struck a low effort inches wide but Saints soon found themselves in front on 18 minutes.

Karl Steel played in Ashton and his cross was met by the left boot of Paul Lucas unmarked in the area to slot home. Lucas’ first of the campaign.

Both sides huffed and puffed but no clear chances were created and the quality of the game was poor.

Saints however came themselves a two goal cushion just before half time.

Ryan John slipped the ball in to Steel and his cross found Ashton at the far post and he converted against his old side.

St Athan started the second period better with a formation change and somewhat of a warning rocket from the gaffer.

Reece Lewis saw a long range drive off target before Aaron Rogers fired wide.

Imps rallied and pulled one back. The ball cleared to the edge of the area and shot was deflected past Garrison.

Saints were clearly rattled and Imps through caution to the wind as they forced Garrision into two low saves at the feet of the striker.

Saints were on the ropes and Imps were clean through, the ball was centred for a tap in but the forward cannoned the ball off the crossbar.

Still Imps came taking full advantage of Saints being well of the pace and saw an effort off the post and then a strike deflected wide.

Saints on rare foray forward throught they had sealed their place in the hat but Steel’s tap in was ruled offside.

St Athan, however, did grab the decisive third which sealed the win. Ashton was played in behind the Imps defence and his low pass was tapped in by Lucas to the relief of the away side.

Not a great showing by St Athan but through to the next round. Noteable good performances by Robinson, Tony Pugh and Joe Laing.

Next up for Saints it’s back to league action with a home game against Island Marine.

St Athan: Garrison, Pugh, R.Lewis, Young, Howe, Laing, Steel, John, Rogers, Lucas, Ashton. Subs – Robinson.

Meanwhile the seconds narrowly lost 1-0 to Barry Albion after close contest.

St Athan B – Holehouse, Morgans, Burgess, Cleave, Richards, Pickering, George, Roberts, Morris, Prior, Talbot. Subs – Campbell, Lloyd.

Many thanks to our sponsors Llantwit Car Valet and Kinsale Stone Co (Wales) Ltd. If your company is interested in sponsoring the club contact us by email


Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *