Title Hopes Cancelled at Airport

St Athan had their title hopes torn to pieces as they were stunned by Cardiff Airport.

Saints saw Paul Lucas red carded and conceded three penalties as their championship aspirations all but went up in smoke.

St Athan got off to the worst possible start as they gave away a penalty within the first minute and it was expertly dispatched.

The gloom deepened minutes later as the Airport’s low drive from distance crept in.

St Athan were two down within five minutes and their game plan out the window.

The game settled down and St Athan looked to get back into it but a Nicky Cox header wide from Reece Lewis’ free kick was the closest they came.

Airport almost extended their lead but saw two efforts wide of the target, a free kick flashed inches wide and Lucas produced a fine save.

Saints captain Jordan Mortimore saw his stinging free kick well held by the away keeper.

St Athan went in two goals down with a mountain to climb.

St Athan looked to start the second half brightly and Josh Morgan saw a penalty appeal waved away. From the subsequent break though, Airports striker was put in and his delightful first time chip lifted the ball over Lucas and into the net to all but secure the points.

It went from bad to worse not long after and Airport were put in on goal, Lucas brought down their front man and was sent off. Deon Garrision pulled on the gloves for his team but the resulting penalty was dispatched into the corner. Saints down to ten men for the final thirty minutes.

St Athan came into the game a point ahead and a draw would have seen the league in their hands with two games to go.

Airport made it five when Richie Humphreys was adjudged to have handled on the line. A third penalty awarded and a third penalty calmly converted.

Airport saw out the big win and now go two points ahead of Saints with the league firmly in their hands with two games to go.

As for St Athan, devastation was felt but a fine campaign has been had and can be extremely proud of their endeavours. St Athan pushed this title race to the end and will look to finish on a high in the next two games and hope Airport slip up.

St Athan: Lucas, Cox, L.Lewis (Rogers 55), Mortimore, Humphreys, Garrison, Austin, R.Lewis, Goodwin, Morgan (Geldard 64), Wilkin. – Subs: Pugh, Ashton.

We’d like to thank the many who came out to support us and our sponsors, Owens Motor Services, Llandow, Diving & Marine Engineering, Green Future Landscaping, Llantwit Valet & Car Wash and both the Three Horseshoes & The Four Bells pubs in St Athan.


Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *