Vale of Glamorgan Football League Barry Cup 29/1

Vale of Glamorgan Football League Barry Cup 29/1

Saturday was Barry Cup day in the Vale league, the Barry Cup dates back over 100 years to 1921 when Cadoxton Old Boys defeated Barry YMCA at Jenner Park. 101 years later and it’s still going strong and what a day of cup action we had.

The upset of the day came at The Butts as First Division Vale Athletic stunned Premier Division high flyers Holton Road with a 3-2 win to dump them out of the cup. Goals from Rosser and Chapman saw Athletic race into an early 0-2 lead before Holton struck back through Williams and Morgan to level the tie before half time. 90 minutes wasn’t enough with extra time being required and it was Warden who struck the decisive goal for Athletic, to hand them an historic victory and put them into the quarter finals.

In those quarter finals will be another division one side upsetting the odds as Vale United knocked out Barry Athletic at the Athletic Ground. Wisenden and a Benford penalty saw United lead 0-2, Drew then missed a spot kick for Athletic in the final ten minutes before Day pulled one back for the home side to set up a nervy finish, but Vale United came out 1-2 victors. Vale United will play Vale Athletic in the quarter finals.

Premier Division leaders Penarth Town saw off local rivals Cogan 3-1 to advance to the quarter finals. Goals from Jenkins, Knight and Thomas set up an away trip to St Athan in the last eight for the cup favourites.

St Athan progressed as they emerged victorious against First Division Rhoose Social with a 4-0 win. A hat trick from Ryan John and a bullet header from Williamson put St Athan through.

Cadoxton Barry turned on the style to put AFC Rhoose to the sword with an impressive 0-3 victory at Ceri Road to go through. Randall, Powell and the excellent Thompson with the goals against a Rhoose side who were down to ten men for much of the game after an early red card.

BV defeated Vale Madrid 5-2 to set up a quarter final against Cadoxton Barry. BV raced into an early 3-0 lead with Frost and two from Cory James but Madrid pulled two back through Messer and Lee, before Frost struck his second and a Cooper penalty secured the win.

Island Marine put Cardiff Airport out of the cup with a 3-1 triumph. Marine were 2 up in half hour with Owens and Bowsher notching before Dixon pulled one back for Airport. Hopkins then missed a penalty just before half time but Davies secured the win twelve minutes from time to put Marine into the quarter finals.

Tynewydd await for Island Marine in the quarters as they turned on the style against First Division high flyers Cwm Talwg to win 4-1. Hicks and Williams put Tynny in charge of the tie before half time, Hicks again and Matthews then struck in the second period to confirm the victory before Kirke pulled back a consolation late on for Talwg.

The full Barry Cup draw (ties to be played on 26th February.

St Athan vs Penarth Town

Cadoxton Barry vs BV

Island Marine vs Tynewydd

Vale United vs Vale Athletic

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *