Holders Saints Crash Out

Barry Cup
Cogan Coronation 3-2 St Athan

Barry Cup holders St Athan crashed out at the first hurdle as Division One Cogan came back from two goals down as the Premier Division side capitulated.

Craig Howells had put Saints in a commanding 2-0 lead but Cogan rallied to peg the away side back and a controversial penalty sealed the upset.

St Athan threw league form out the window in the first half playing good football. Ryan John and Joe Laing both having great chances early on.

Laing then struck the post with a long range effort and Saints were in the ascendancy.

Youngster Coree Roberts was enjoying a flourishing half of football and teed up the opening goal.

Howells latched onto a Roberts flick and left two defenders in his wake before curling a left footed shot into the top corner.

Cogan came back and put Saints under pressure but James Austin and Jake Sutch forged a fine partnership at centre half and James Andrews was barely troubled between the sticks.

In the second period Cogan started well, looking rejuvenated and struck the up right, before Saints saw efforts wide by Howells and Roberts.

St Athan finally doubled their lead as marauding reluctant full back Leigh Lewis delivered an exquisite cross for Howells to side foot home.

Cogan came quickly back though and threw caution to the wind, a long shot deflected right into the path of the home forward who calmly rounded the keeper to slot in and give Cogan way back.

It was a different game now and Cogan poured forward as St Athan stopped playing the good football that brought them to the dance.

Cogan were soon level when a free kick was directed into the net by a looping header that dipped under the cross bar.

Cogan were buoyed and looked to pile on the pressure. Then controversy, as a shot was fired from outside the area to strike a Saints defender, the referee deemed the ball to have struck the arm, that it was intentional and awarded a penalty. The spot kick was expertly converted and Cogan had the lead now.

St Athan looked stunned and devoid of confidence, Cogan now looking the more likely to further extend their lead and only an excellent point blank stop by Andrews denied them.

Cogan’s fight back was excellent showing a never say die attitude in a tremendous cup tie.

St Athan slumped off the park at full time, out of the cup that they lifted back in May in grand fashion. But maybe green shoots of recovery can be seen as St Athan must take consolation in their first half display and carry that forward.


Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *