Tongwynlais 0-1 St Athan

SWFA Intermediate Cup Round Two

Tongwynlais 0-1 St Athan

With Castle Coch looking down, it was the black and white of St Athan who edged this enthralling Intermediate Cup contest.

Saints left it late but with five minutes to go, Leigh Lewis scored his eighth goal in eight games to book St Athan’s place in the third round draw.

St Athan came into the game buoyed by recent form and welcomed back captain Jordan Mortimore after a two game absence. Josh Harfoot also returned to the squad.

Both teams looked to impose themselves on the game but neither could create an early opening.

Tongwynlais should have gone in front mid way through the half as the ball was lost in midfield, the winger drove a cross from the left and the front man really should have scored.

Both teams restricted the other very well and this was one for the defences, and the hard working midfields, the tackles fierce and full blooded.

James Austin carved out St Athan’s best opportunity of the first period as he played in Josh Morgan, but the home keeper was quick off his line to produce a good stop.

Tongwynlais saw a long range effort off target late on in the half, but despite not a great deal of goal mouth action this was an intriguing and enjoyable tussle of a contest.

The second half saw the tempo stay at that high level but the game opened up ever so slightly.

Saints keeper Deon Garrison produced a good save to deny a Tongwynlais header before Brad Young down the other end saw an effort wide.

Tongwynlais started to get the better chances but found Garrison in tremendous form. Garrison produced to excellent saves to first deny the home forward and then an instinctive low stop from a fizzing long range volley from the Tongwynlais winger.

Saints, however were starting to ope up the home defence and after some neat interchange of football Young again saw a strike wide. Then Mark
Drysdale found Morgan in the area, his first touch sublime, his cross just eluding the head of Tony Pugh.

Then came the chance Tongwynlais were looking for. A rare error by the away side and a pin point through ball put the home forward in on goal from the right of the area, he rounded Garrison but under pressure could only flash a shot across the face of the goal and Saints were let off.

The chance seemed to deflate the home side slightly and Saints looked to win the game.

A free kick into the area dropped to Morgan on the volley but his effort was inadvertently blocked by one of his own team. But Saints were in the ascendancy and could smell a goal.

The game always seemed that it would be won by a single goal and it arrived with 85 minutes on the clock. Richie Humphreys lofted free kick from his own half into the home area alluded the last defender and Lewis pounced to put St Athan in front.

Saints thought they had the chance to put the game to bed when Pugh was brought down but the referee deemed the foul just outside.

Tongwynlais threw all they could at Saints in the final moments but the away defence never looked like cracking and St Athan saw out a well earned victory.

A very good cup game between two sides who truly worked and battled for supremacy, Saints, however, had that bit fight and they are in the hat for the next round.

St Athan: Garrison, Humphreys, Young, Mortimore, Drysdale, Ashton, Laing, Austin, Lewis, Steel, Morgan. Subs – Harfoot, Pugh.

We’d like to thank those who came out to support us and our sponsors, Owens Motor Services, Llandow, Diving & Marine Engineering, Green Future Landscaping, Llantwit Valet & Car Wash and The Four Bells in St Athan.

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *